DIY Hanging Wine Bottle Lantern
Decorating for your wedding doesn’t have to cost a fortune—just a little planning, time, and a whole lot of wine! Here are 10 projects to turn empty wine bottles from old glass into wedding class.
Difficulty: high Steps: 14
Cotton string or yarn
Nail polish remover
Large metal pot (large enough to submerge a wine bottle)
Copper wire (18 gauge)
Needle nose pliers
- Wash bottle; remove labels.
- Wrap cotton yarn/string tightly and evenly around the bottle at desired height. Wrap 3 to 4 for times and tie off. Be sure to wrap at least 2” below the curved neck of the wine bottle to avoid breakage.
- Remove cotton string and saturate in nail polish remover.
- Replace cotton string on wine bottle.
- Fill a large pot with cold water; add ice cubes.
- Ignite cotton string using a candle lighter.
- Rotate wine bottle quickly until flame extinguishes. (Try to keep the flame burning as long as possible).
- Submerge bottle in pot of cold water. The bottle should split apart above the string line almost immediately.
- Cut a piece of copper wire approximately 24” long (the more spirals in the wire, the longer the piece should be), using the wire cutter.
- Bend a loop on one end of the wire using the needle nose pliers.
- Shape the wire into a graduated spiral using the pliers and your hand.
- Attach string/twine to the looped end of the wire.
- Drop a tea light into the spiraled wire and feed the string through the bottom of the wine bottle and through the neck.
- Hang bottle; light candle.
Alternative: For a simpler project, forgo steps 9-14 and instead place bottle over a votive candle.